General Education Program
General Education Program
USTF has designed the General Education Program (GEP) based on its vision and educational philosophy. It aims at providing students with a variety of competencies associated with a wide range of university requirements intended to lay the ground for their future progress and development, academically as well as professionally. The main purpose of the GEP is to enable students to attain the fundamental broad base of knowledge, skills and competencies that a university educated graduate must have whatever their specific area of their specialization.
General education courses are designed to establish strong, intellectual foundation for all specializations. These courses develop skill acquisition in oral and written communication, information technology, innovation, quantitative analysis, critical thinking as well as certain aspects in the humanities, arts and natural sciences. The GEP also seeks to develop in the students’ specific competencies pertinent to enjoying autonomy and responsibility for their learning, interaction with others, pursuing self-development and deploying what they have acquired in real-life situations.
The College of Humanities and Sciences (CHS) at USTF organizes offering of the General GEP, which is a vital component of higher education. Having such a Program will make both the required and elective courses relevant, rich and appropriate. In addition, these courses feature both originality and modernity.
- Provide USTF students with core knowledge, values, attitudes and skills that will help them succeed in their studies, lives and careers.
- Enhance students’ capacity for teamwork and leadership that will help them successfully guide the economic, social and cultural development of the UAE.
- Graduate students who know and value their religion and culture, and who are responsible citizens, while at the same time understand, appreciate and effectively participate in the multicultural diversity of the modern world.
General Education Program Learning Outcomes
On successful completion of the general education program the student will be able to:
- Identify key concepts and issues in languages, religion, history, society, environmental issues, and natural resources.
- Describe knowledge of basic principles in statistics, information technology, critical thinking, and innovation, together with their applications.
- Discuss the reasoning of behavioral, humanities, and art theories.
- Use the skills in communication effectively in written and spoken Arabic and English languages.
- Analyze issues, ideas, and events comprehensively before forming a
- Demonstrate the need for acquiring, sharing, analyzing assessment, and use of information effectively, ethically and legally.
- Apply knowledge from experiences in multiple disciplines to new, complex situations and decision making.
- Develop skills in critical thinking, solve problems and exploring innovative practices for understanding the impact of technology on the society.
- Interpret and present quantitative data to comprehend multiple perspectives and formulate effective actions.
- Set team objectives and take responsibility for team performance to achieve future needs and shared goals.
- Attach to the fast development of the modern societies, smart cities, artificial intelligence and modern technologies.
- Explain the core concepts of sustainable management from local to regional to global viewpoints.